A healthy smile requires a lifelong commitment to practicing proper oral hygiene every day. In addition, patients must attend regular dental exams and cleanings. Dental exams are necessary for catching dental issues at their earliest, most easily treated stages, and dental cleanings are needed to remove plaque in stubborn, hard to clean areas. Dr. Stephen Lipman offers many general dentistry treatments to ensure the health of your smile. Our Windsor practice is committed to helping you enjoy a lifetime of good oral health. Read on to learn how regular dental exams and cleanings can help you.
What to Expect During a Dental Exam and Cleaning
Patients are advised to undergo dental exams once every six months. During a typical dental exam, the teeth and gums will be assessed. The teeth will be checked for any signs of cavities, decay, fractures, or any other damage. The gums will be specifically checked for gum disease and any other irregularities. The tongue and other tissues within in the mouth may be checked for possible signs of cancer or other health issues like vitamin deficiencies. In the event any issues with the teeth, gums, or oral tissues are found, a treatment plan will be devised.
Professional dental cleanings go hand-in-hand with regular dental exams. During a professional cleaning, metal scraping tools, water picks, and traditional floss may be used to clean away stubborn plaque and tartar. Special attention is paid to the gum line, the back teeth, and other troublesome areas. Metal scraping tools are used to gently scrape away tartar, the calcific form of plaque, from the teeth. The teeth will be flossed to remove any plaque between the teeth. Once the teeth are cleaned, they are typically polished and a fluoride mouthwash may be used.
Why You Shouldn't Skip Dental Exams and Cleanings
There are many reasons to skip regular dental exams and cleanings, yet many people don't take the time to see their dentist. It's important to see your dentist at least every six months, as problems like gum disease and decay can cause significant damage if allowed to progress. When it comes to keeping the teeth clean, even the most thorough home brushing and flossing can leave plaque in hard to reach areas; this is one of many reasons professional cleanings are a must. Before you decide to skip your next dental exam and cleaning, consider the following:
- Prevent dental decay: Dental exams and cleanings combined with regular brushing and flossing help keep the teeth free of decay and cavities.
- Catch problems early: Dental exams help catch problems at their earliest stages, when issues are most easily treated. This can be lifesaving in the event oral cancer is detected.
- Prevent the need for costly treatments: Dental exams and cleanings help prevent the need for costly dental treatments by helping to keep the teeth free of damage and catching damage before it becomes severe.
- Prevent gum disease: If untreated, gum disease can lead to chronic bad breath, dental decay, and even tooth loss. Regular dental exams and cleanings can reduce the risk of gum disease.
- Ensure a lifetime of healthy teeth and a beautiful smile: Regular dental exams and cleanings help keep your smile healthy and looking its best. When combined with regular brushing and flossing, dental exams and cleanings can help you keep a healthy smile throughout your lifetime.
Schedule Your Next Exam and Cleaning
Don't wait any longer to get your oral health on track. Schedule your next dental exam and cleaning with Dr. Lipman.